Large Batch of Salsa (for canning)

2011-08-26 14:25
Mountain Standard Time
I really love this salsa, I love it's colors and the flavor.  I hope you like as much as I do

30 tomatoes peeled and chopped about a 5 gallon bucket full
2 green bell peppers
10 cups chopped onions
1/2 bunch of cilantro
10 cloves garlic or 3 Tablespoons of garlic powder
4-5 yellow banana pepper or 1 cup chopped jalapenos, Anaheim peppers are great too.
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
2 cups vinegar or Lime juice (I prefer the lime juice, others I know prefer vinegar that's why I put both)
8 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 large cans tomato paste

To get your tomatoes to peel it helps to blanch them in boiling water so they slip right off.

Mix everything together in a huge pot.  Simmer 1 1/2 hrs, stirring frequently, at the end of cooking time add 1/2 bunch of cilantro.
Ladle into jars and process, 35 minutes for pint jars and 45 minutes for quart jars.
Makes about 16 pints

No comments:

Post a Comment